POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Difference object that cant be scaled : Re: Difference object that cant be scaled Server Time
3 Aug 2024 06:18:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Difference object that cant be scaled
From: Phil Cook
Date: 26 Apr 2004 12:19:16
Message: <opr62nkrnmp4ukzs@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 13:07:56 +0200, lars petter <lar### [at] higno>
wrote:

> Hi. I've got this difference object:
>
> difference {   // a cylinder subtracted with another cylinder with
> smaller
> radius -> a ring
>
>         cylinder {
>           <5, 0, 5>,
>           <5, 1, 5>,
>           1
>           pigment { rgb <1, 0, 0> }
>         }
>
>        cylinder {
>           <5, 0, 5>,
>           <5, 1, 5>,
>           0.9
>           open
>        }
>     //scale <2,1,1>   is this the right place to insert the scaling?
>
> }
>
> if i try to scale it in x- or z- direction, the object simply fails to
> show
> in the render. scaling i y-direction however, works fine.
>
> why is this?
>
> -greets,
>     lars petter

I've also been caught out by this; the help file states that scale is used
to change the size of an object or texture pattern with a origin sphere
example. IMHO an additional non-origin sphere to demonstrate how it also
affects the vector location(s) would make this a bit more obvious. The way
scale works makes sense if you stop and think about it, but it's not
something you you might stop and think of :)

Actually I'll post this to povray.documentation.inbuilt as a suggestion.

--
Phil Cook

--
All thoughts and comments are my own unless otherwise stated and I am
happy to be proven wrong.